If you have any doubts or misgivings about the amazing world of smoked foods, take a look at what people have been saying about this incredible, time-tested method of cooking:
- “When done right, smoking adds an awe-inspiring depth of flavour, and brings out an imitable essence that other forms of preparation simply cannot.”
- “I used to cut and trim the fat off of my meats…that is, until I began smoking my proteins regularly. There’s something about the process that prevents fats and lards from developing that all-too-common sour, rancid taste.”
- “…and the aesthetics are remarkable. Smoked fish tends to embody a beautiful golden colour, whereas meats feature a lustrous, brownish glow. Family dinners will never be the same!”
- “…as a former food scientist, I can tell you from first-hand experience that smoking your food effectively kills bacteria, slows the growth of pathogens, and greatly extends the shelf life of meats in particular”
As you can see, smoking your foods is a great way to revitalise and reimagine your culinary repertoire, but sadly, many of us don’t have the equipment, space, or provisions required to properly smoke foodstuffs in today’s day and age.
So if you’re pining to dine on some smoked food in Sussex, for instance, you’ll have to establish a relationship with a renowned local smokery that specialises in this unique form of food prep. With this notion in mind, this brief article will help you ascertain the most reputable professional smokery in your immediate vicinity.
Step One – Seek Out Generational Experience
To avoid fake sauces and additives that merely mimic the essence of smoked foods, you’ll want find a smokery that adheres to the traditional, customary styles of smoking. In this regard, you should focus on the salient aspects shown below:
- Family-owned business
- 30+ years of experience with smoking foods
- Dedicated shop with an extensive network of suppliers and distributors
- Professional smokehouse with intricate food prep rooms
- Adherence to all safety guidelines and regulations
Step Two – Look for Industry-Specific Awards and Recognitions
Next, you’ll want to turn your attention towards the honours and accolades that only the most renowned smokeries can tout nowadays, which include the following:
- Great Taste Producer
- Recommended by Gourmet Britain
- The Balvenie Masters of Craft award
Step Three – Seek Out a Versatile, Multitalented Customer Experience
Last but not least, you’ll want to take the time to ensure that your smokery of choice can provide a top-to-bottom culinary experience replete with the following aspects:
- Cold smoking and hot smoking specialisation.
- Extensive selection of award-winning smoked options, including venison, salmon, free-range lamb, gourmet chicken breasts, ox tongue, eel fillet, and streaky bacon, just to name a few.
- Online guide depicting the most popular recipes for home cooks.
- Free residential delivery for orders above £70.
- Revolving special offers, such as 10%-off gift ranges.
With this brief guide at your disposal, you’re more than ready to pick the perfect smoker and begin indulging in some of the best smoked meats in the entire UK!
Your grumbling stomach and neglected taste buds will surely thank you!